Ron Ulysses Swanson is a fictional character in the NBC comedy-drama Parks and Recreation. He is the former husband of two women by the name of Tammy Swanson and is the current husband of Diane Swanson. He is Leslie Knope's deadpan superior as the head of the Pawnee Parks and Recreation Department. He is portrayed by Nick Offerman. He quit the Parks department in late 2014 and started Very Good Building and Development Co. As of 2017, he had a mysterious feud with Leslie until the episode "Leslie and Ron"
Ron was born to Tamara Swanson and was delivered by his future wife, also known as Tammy 1, a candy striper at the hospital. He cried for the first time when he was 7, when he was hit by a school bus. When Ron was 9 he began work in a sheet metal factory and "within two weeks, he was running the floor". When he was 11 he was offered a job at the Tannery where he could work with leather, a dream he had always had. He tried to do both as well as finish Middle School but he eventually realized he could only do one thing at a time.
Ron claims to have attended a prom when he was 12 and (while he enjoyed himself) felt it was unnecessary to go to another one.
When college came around, his dad, feeling that college wasn't important, dropped Ron off at a metal factory. However, Ron hitchhiked and went to college anyway, where he said he learned a lot about life.
He has three brothers, one of whom is in the Air Force and another (or potentially the same) shot him in the foot with a nail gun when they were little. His brother's names are Don, Vaughn, Lon Swanson, Lon being named after his uncle Lon. He also has another brother named Bob Swanson.
Ron Swanson has been Director of the Pawnee Parks and Recreation Department for six years. Ron believes in the elimination of government waste and has always brought the department in under budget. Ron believes the government should be privatized and follow the business model of the Chuck E. Cheese's family entertainment chain. He has closed many unnecessary recreational spaces during his tenure, including the Portola Skate Park, the Grice Dog Run, the Morris-Easton Observatory, the Mohanga Native American Heritage Center, and most public drinking fountains. Ron has two ex-wives, both of whom are named "Tammy," which is also the name of Ron's mother. He is usually non-confrontational and gives Leslie a lot of leeway when running the department. He jokingly keeps a claymore and a sawed off shotgun on his desk, so people who ask for things have to stare down the barrel. He enjoys woodworking, breakfast meats, and the works of Ayn Rand. He is also an avid hunter and fisherman, and secretly moonlights as a jazz saxophonist named "Duke Silver". His direct superior is Paul. Ron has at least one unseen brother, who is an officer in the Air Force. He mentioned having at least one other brother, Don, who worked with him at Very Good Construction, and possibly two other brothers as well. He also mentioned an uncle who "does yoga" when asked if his family had any history of mental illness. He has been seen driving a red 1997-2005 Buick Park Avenue and what appears to be a 1978-1979 Ford F100.
Ron starting from an early age loves building things and woodwork, even winning an award for his chairs he makes. He also hates lying to the point he was willing to let Jeremy Jamm win the lawsuit if it meant having his witnesses April and Tom tell the truth. The only thing he hates more than lying is skim milk, which is water lying to be milk as he states.
Ron also is shown to love unhealthy fatty high cholesterol foods like red meat. Ron will rarely eat ethnic foods but will if it contains "meat" in its name. He despises fish and states it only should be used for sport as it is practically the vegetable of meats. Ron openly despises vegetables and vegetarians/vegans alike calling the plants "food that my food eats". He also says that vegetarians are made of glass and had no problem writing his address down when mailing one as he considers them too weak to be of a threat to Ron. Ron goes into shock when he does not regularly consume meat in a certain period of time shown when visiting Chris' house where his home was void of red meat. Due to his high consumption of meat and oils, he has never had a hang over as revealed on Joanne's talk show since he and other Swansons have a very high tolerance for alcohol even drinking an entire jug of Swanson Liquor which is shown to be very strong in one swig. He is revealed to consume one shelf of alcohol a week and usually likes his drinks neat with no ice.
Ron is very patriotic and mocks every other country that is not America, like when he was in London mocking all the sights like a Clock Tower in which he sarcastically states that the USA definitely don't have Clocks of their own and that American Dollars is the most beautiful paper in the world refusing to use the British Currency. He also shown to laugh in disgrace when the country "Canada" is mentioned to him.
Ron knows various self defense techniques and is a very private person not trusting technology or not putting down information about himself even blacking out his records on Government documents and discarding photos of himself. He even trashed his computer at one point after learning about online cookies and Google Earth and also switched to a burner phone so he would not be tracked. In this way he is very old fashioned.
When Ron has sex, Tom reveals he dresses like Tiger Woods the next day wearing a red polo and black khaki pants. But Tammy One makes Ron wear a striped lighter blue polo and white khakis with a shaved mustache showing that Tammy One can neuter Ron into a wimp while Tammy Two turns Ron into a crazed sex demon as stated by Leslie.
Ron does not trust banks and instead invested and saved his money into a form of gold he has stashed in multiple locations in which Tammy One tried to acquire but failed and took the decoy gold. While it is never revealed how much Ron has acquired of wealth in Gold, his will states that giving 5% of Ron's wealth to his step daughters managed to shock the lawyer and Ben into disbelief on how great the amount was even doubting if he was joking but Ron does not want to spoil his daughters so he does not give them the full amount in his will and rather have them be hard workers. Ron himself does not know how much he has truly in gold in a dollar sense but only knows in how much pounds of gold he is rich in. Ron's will also states that his full wealth will be given to the man or beast that kills him and that only they will know what "the symbols" mean.
While at first declining his interest, he then openly admits to loving riddles and puzzles showing talent and giddy when helping Ben and Andy solve Leslie's riddles. Ron even requested Leslie do a riddle and puzzle themed birthday for him in the future. He also congratulated April at one point being impressed that she came up with a riddle even Ron could not solve.
Ron shows that he is extremely capable of handling pain has he once pulled his own tooth with pliers in front of the office in a meeting on a tooth hat did not even hurt but only to show he is capable of withstanding the pain as the dentist already pulled the hurting tooth out the other day. He also once got shot in the back of the head with a shotgun by tom and still managed to be angry and conscious and recovering the same day being able to stand and complain to Tom and Leslie. He also had a giant fireball consume his face when lighting the Lil Sebastian memorial in which he was only slightly irritated.
Ron has super senses when Tammy Two is around being able to smell her "sulfur coming off of her cloven hooves".
Ron originally does not want to approve Leslie's bid to fill in a construction pit and turn it into a park because he is so opposed to government interference, he does not believe the parks department should build parks. However, he is convinced to green-light the project when city planner Mark Brendanawicz cashes in an unspecified favor. Ron attempts to leave government employment and take a job offer that was previously offered to him at an Internet flower company web site, but when he finds the business is doing extremely poorly, he sadly realizes he will be in his government job for a long time.
In "The Stakeout", Ron suffers from a hernia, for which April Ludgate has to take him to the hospital, much to his disdain. Ron discovers his coworker Tom Haverford's green card marriage with Wendy, but agrees to keep it secret, especially after Tom discovers Ron secretly moonlights as a nightclub jazz musician with the name, "Duke Silver". Ron gets shot in the head in "Hunting Trip", when mocking Leslie, he mentions his brothers, who don't show up until Season 7. When Pawnee implements a policy requiring public officials to deal more directly to the public, Ron deems it "my hell", and hires parks intern April Ludgate to serve as his personal assistant to protect him from the citizens. Ron almost loses her when she fails to know that, March 31 is in fact a date. He has 93 meetings scheduled on one day and April attempts to quit. When trying to gain back April, he discovers that she knows who Duke Silver is.
Jealous over Ron dating Wendy, Tom Haverford briefly dates Tammy to get even, but the plan backfires when Ron and Tammy get drunk, have lots of sex, put Ron's hair in cornrows, and get married again. Once again, under Tammy's control, Ron wants to start a family with Tammy, ignoring his friend's pleas to stop. Tom returns to tell Ron that Tammy mentioned that she was only trying to make Ron miserable, and Tammy begins beating up Tom. Seeing Tom get his ass kicked snaps Ron out of his Tammy-hypnosis.
Weeks later, Tom launches his new drink, Snake Juice, which is 140 proof and contains large amounts of caffeine. Ron is initially hesitant, but after trying the drink, agrees to help sell it, stating "damn if that isn't delicious." Without realizing the drink's content, he drinks a ridiculous amount. His high resistance to alcohol is broken, and Ron gets extremely drunk, dancing frantically to pop music, which he normally hates, and is shown wearing Janet Snakehole's hat (a roleplay character portrayed by April Ludgate). He is, however, able to stave off a hangover which plagues everyone else who was drinking Snake Juice.
Ron is chosen to light the eternal flame at the end of Li'l Sebastian's funeral, which burns his eyebrows off. The season ends with a horrified Ron learning that his first ex-wife, also named Tammy, has come to see him.
After learning that his first ex-wife, "Tammy 1", has come to see him, Ron gathers a backpack full of supplies that he had hidden in an air vent in City Hall and bolts out, leaving Leslie in charge of the Parks Department. He lives in his secret cabin in the woods for 3 weeks, during which he survives on animals he has hunted and a stockpile of whiskey. He grows back his previously destroyed eyebrows, as well as a full beard. Leslie comes to live with him when she decides to run away from her problem of choosing between her boyfriend Ben, and running for city council. After seeing Leslie in her exasperated and irrational state, Ron realizes that he has to face his problems head on, and convinces himself and Leslie to return to work. Hours after he returns, Tammy 1 finds Ron in his office and informs Ron that he is being audited by the IRS, Ron's absolute worst nightmare. While going through his audit, Tammy 1 uses her manipulative personality to brainwash Ron into falling in love with her again. Ron, after only one week, becomes a near polar opposite of his former self. He shaves off his mustache and embraces his government job, which confuses and concerns his coworkers. After Ron states that he believes that the government "knows what its doing," Leslie realizes she needs to break Tammy's hold on him. Leslie brings Ron's mother to City Hall to have a drink-off with Tammy 1, winner take Ron. Ron objects to Leslie and April joining the drink-off, as the liquor is extremely potent. After seeing his coworkers in pain from the liquor, Ron ends the drink-off by chugging the entire jug. His strong tolerance to alcohol allows him to finish the jug with only a slight buzz, which seems to break him out of Tammy's hypnosis. Tammy leaves stating that she intends to be by Ron's side the day he dies.
Having led the youth organization, The Pawnee Rangers, Ron encounters an obstacle when his troops begin to defect to Leslie's Pawnee Goddesses, which emphasizes fun over Ron's self-reliance. Having lost his troops, Ron feels depressed that children no longer want to learn to be self-reliant, and that the values he holds dear might be dying. To apologize, and make Ron feel better, Leslie starts a new organization specifically for children interested in self-reliance called The Swansons, with Ron as the troop leader.
When the Pawnee cult called The Reasonabilists predicts the end of the world at sunrise, as they do every few years, Ron jumps at the opportunity to sell them homemade flutes at a very high price. The cult members hold a vigil in a city park and buy the flutes, believing that their money will be useless after the apocalypse. When the end of the world doesn't come, Ron makes off with several hundred dollars.
When Andy decides to take a college course, Ron takes a vested interest, as he values a good education, and supports Andy as the husband of his mentee April. Ron encourages Andy to take an advanced course to broaden his horizons, helping Andy settle on Women's Studies.
When Leslie goes on trial for sleeping with Ben, which is against Chris' rules, Ron is called to testify on Leslie's behalf. He proves ineffective, as he is unable to provide very much information, including his home address.
When Christmas time comes, Ron receives an incredibly thoughtful gift from Leslie: an automatic door-closing mechanism for his office. Wanting to repay Leslie for all of the thoughtful gifts she has given her coworkers over the years, Ron suggests the Parks Department build a scale model of the office. His idea is immediately turned into a gingerbread house, much to Ron's disdain. Ron discovers that he is terrible at building gingerbread houses, and leaves the work to his subordinates. As his own special gift to Leslie, he builds a wooden model of Leslie at her desk as a City Councilwoman, and arranges to have the Park Department take over her City Council campaign.
In "How A Bill Becomes A Law", Ron meets Diane Lewis (Lucy Lawless) who has been ignored when asking about filling in a pothole. Ron becomes a friend of hers and, in "Halloween Surprise", he takes her two daughters out trick-or-treating and they begin dating. In "Women in Garbage", while babysitting Diane's daughters, he admits to Ann he loves Diane. Later in the episode, she admits she also loves him. In the fifth season finale "Are You better off?", Andy is talking to Ron about a pregnancy test he found when Diane comes in and says she needs to talk to him, leaving the question if she is pregnant in a cliffhanger.
In the sixth season premiere "London", Diane reveals that she is pregnant. Ron proposes, and she accepts on the condition they not have a huge wedding. They immediately get married on the fourth floor. In "The Wall", it is revealed that Diane has had her baby as Ron takes him to work and mends a radiator on the third floor. While trying to organize performers for the Unity Concert, Andy discovers that Ron is Duke Silver and in the two-part season finale "Moving Up", Duke Silver takes to the stage to perform at the Unity Concert, much to the delight of Diane and her daughters.
In the seventh season, the show is fast-forwarded to 2017. It is discovered that Ron left the Parks department two years prior to start his own building company. For a seemingly unknown reason, Leslie and Ron have become bitter enemies due to an incident known as "Morning Star". The two are now fighting over a 200-mile estate owned by the Newport Family, as Ron's company has been hired by Gryzzl to build their new headquarters there. In "Leslie & Ron", Ben locks Ron in the Parks department office with Leslie for the night, telling them that they have to stay there and work out their differences. After many hours of either arguing or ignoring each other, it is revealed in a flashback that Morning Star is an apartment complex that Ron's company was building on the lot where Ann's old house was. Ron tells Leslie that the reason he wanted to leave the Parks department was because none of his old colleagues worked with him anymore. He finally left the government for good when he asked Leslie to go to lunch at JJ's so he could ask her for a job in the federal government, but she stood him up after she was asked to go to Washington, D.C. At the end of the episode, the two make up and go to breakfast at JJ's together.
In "GryzzlBox", when Leslie wants to confront Gryzzl about their data mining, Ron says that it's none of his business. However, when Ron's 4 year old son John receives a GryzzlBox, he destroys the robot that delivered it and tells Leslie that he wants to help take down Gryzzl.
In Episode 8, Ron reveals that the Vice President of his company, Very Good Building and Construction Company, is his brother, Don Swanson, who himself never knew that Ron worked at the Parks Dept. Ron's actions imply that two more of his brothers also work at the company, who he later introduces as Vaughn and Lon. His brothers are only mentioned in one other Episode, "Hunting Trip."
In Episode 12, Leslie offered Ron a job when fast-forwarded to the year 2022. Faced at a personal crossroad, he asks Leslie, one of his close friends whom he calls one of his "work-place proximity associates" to help him find a job where he would feel useful. Leslie finally finds a job for Ron at the nearest National Park near Pawnee, after she convinced the superintendent of that park to transfer to Bryce Canyon, after the last superintendent retired. He now works as the superintendent when Leslie already accepted the job for him. The park's name is not mentioned.
- Ron always follows the Swanson Pyramid of Greatness
- Even though Ron doesn't like Government, he for some reason still believes that people should get gun/hunting licenses as not doing so is reckless endangerment as he stated to Tom and also offered April to get a gun licence when he re-gifted her a .22 pistol.
- Even though Ron can eat a lot, it is shown that he sometimes starves himself during the day if it meant going to a restaurant he likes to have more room for the food.
- Ron is shown to despise hugs openly scoffing when being embraced by people like Andy and Chris. He also doesn't like talking about feelings and other people's affairs and claimed to once known a guy for years and still never knew his name.
- Although he hates lying, he has made some exceptions like to "assholes" like the van rental salesman being a false witness to a rear end collision, and that his shop was up to code when Mark asked if he fixed the violations with a slight hesitation before answering showing he was uncomfortable, or joking about wanting the Woman of the Year Award just to mess with Leslie although he later states that "joking" is a cousin of lying.
- The only thing he hates more than lying is skim milk, which is water lying to be milk as he states.
- His car, seen in several episodes, is a burgundy 1997-2005 Buick Park Avenue. He has stated he has owned the car for 10 years. He also owns a reddish brown 1973-1979 Ford F-series truck, which he damaged when he rammed it into the crib that he built (and later gave to Chris).
- Swansons have a preternaturally high tolerance for alcohol. His old man used to put Wild Turkey on his Cornflakes. Ron also never had a hang over before and once chugged an entire jug of Swanson liquor in one swig.
- In "Pawnee Zoo", he states that The Bulge, a gay bar, is behind his house
- One of his favorite breakfast dishes is the Four Horsemeals of the Eggporkalypse from J.J.'s Diner. He also keeps a supply of bacon hidden in the ceiling of his office.
- Ron has won the Dorothy Everton Smythe Female Empowerment Award, the Indiana Fine Woodworking Association Award for Best Chair, and the City of Pawnee Employee of the Month Award (which he quickly destroyed).
- Every 3 weeks, Ron has to sand down his toenails, claiming that they are "too strong for clippers".
- Ron only has 9 toes (or possibly less) stating "I have the toes I have."
- Ron claimed that he buys all of his food (and most of his stuff) at Food and Stuff.
- Inspired by Tiger Woods, Ron always wears a red shirt after having sex.
- He hates birthdays and went to great lengths to keep anyone from finding out his, even having it redacted from all government documents (although he later states that Baskin-Robbins knows when it is).
- In "Telethon", he says he suffers from a disorder called "sleep fighting".
- Ron publicly claimed that he has only cried twice in his life, once when Ron was 7 years old he was hit by a school bus and a second time when he learned of Li'l Sebastian's death. However, this is incorrect as Ron is seen crying in the episode "Ron and Tammy" when he realizes that she has all the power in their relationship. He become teary-eyed in "Citizen Knope" in reaction to Leslie's Christmas gift: remote-controlled closing doors for his office. He also seems close to crying on the cliffs in Scotland when reading the Robert Burns poem that Leslie had copied for him.
- His phone's ringtone is the sound of a shotgun going off.
- In "Woman of the Year", Leslie points out that Ron attends a "shocking number of Women's National Basketball Association games".
- In "Tom's Divorce", he says he prefers a "strong, salt of the Earth, self-possessed woman at the top of her field. Your Steffi Grafs, your Sheryl Swoopeses".
- According to Ron in "Rock Show", he and Tammy 2 were divorced because she cheated on him.
- On April's 21st birthday, he gave her a .22 Sig Sauer Mosquito.
- Early in their professional relationship, Ron tried to have Leslie fired several times from the Parks Department, but each time changed his mind.
- He hates Canada and Europe, especially France.
- Ron states that has seen three movies in his life: Bridge on the River Kwai, Patton, and Herbie: Fully Loaded, which Diane's kids love. However, a number of other episodes establish additional movies he has seen. In the 4/11 episode "Animal Control" Ron says "last night I watched a movie with Diane and the girls in which an orange fish is separated from its father...", which is Finding Nemo. Yet, in Galentine's Day he does recognize and give a high five to Leslie's impersonation of the Terminator, suggesting he has seen that movie as well. In the season three episode "Eagleton," Leslie arranges for him to watch Bridge on the River Kwai and The Dirty Dozen.
- Ron is allergic to hazelnuts.
- Ron's sulfur and cloven hooves metaphor he uses to describe Tammy two is of relating to demons
- Ron secretly likes artichokes and plums, as well as riddles.
- If given the opportunity, Ron prefers to limit his conversations to 100 words or less.
- On the small table behind his desk, he has pictures of both a crashed WW1 airplane and an aerial view of a WW2 Spitfire, suggesting he has a fascination with military aviation, this being furthed when in "The Trial of Leslie Knope" he talks about wanting to buy a model of a B-25 Mitchel
- Ron is extremely protective of his son, John, and cares for him deeply, although in earlier seasons he stated that he didn't wish to have children.
- When Ron wins the Woman of the Year award for Leslie's camp Athena Project he mistakenly called it "Camp Xena" and then goes on to marry Diane Lewis (Lucy Lawless, who portrayed Xena Warrior Princess) in the 6th season.
- As shown in "Animal Control" Ron keeps a picture of Diane, Zoey, and Ivy on his desk.
- Ron owns a wood shop (which is Nick's actual workshop)
- Ron also owns a cabin at 9301 Cedar Crest Drive, where he hid from Tammy 1. He has owned several other cabins, at least one of which he sold after his marriage to Diane.
Names people call Ron SwansonEdit
- Ron f*****g Swanson - Everyone
- Ronfire of the Vanities -Tom
- Swansong -Jean-Ralphio
- Ron in Sixty Seconds -Tom
- Softypants McHuggable -April
- Lester -April
- LaRon James -Tom
- Ron Solo -Tom
- Ron-Tanamo Bay -Tom
- Video-Ron-Demand -Tom
- Rondaleeza Rice -Tom
- Dwayne "The Rock" Swanson -Tom
This character has a Photo Gallery.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 http://www.pawneeindiana.com/parks-and-recreation/staff.shtml
- ↑ Lloyd, Robert (2009-04-09). ""Parks and Recreation": The Amy Poehler vehicle "Parks and Recreation" is a charming sapling that just may take root". Los Angeles Times. http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-parks-and-recreation9-2009apr09,0,4925765.story. Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- ↑ "Megan Mullally on Parks and Recreation". Ain't It Cool News. 2009-10-23. http://www.aintitcool.com/talkback_display/42824. Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- ↑ http://www.tv.com/parks-and-recreation/ron-and-tammy/episode/1306083/recap.html?tag=episode_recap;recap
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Fog, Henning (2009-10-09). ""Parks and Recreation" recap: Dirty little secrets". Entertainment Weekly. http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/10/09/parks-and-recreation-recap-dirty-little-secrets/. Retrieved 2009-10-23.
- ↑ Season 2 Episode 10: Hunting Trip, "You know Leslie, the superbowl is in a couple months. I usually watch it with my brothers..." - Ron Swanson
- ↑ Parks & Recreation: Season One. [Film (DVD)]. Universal Studios Home Entertainment. Event occurs at Deleted Scenes: Canvassing.
- ↑ "Parks and Recreation - Canvassing: Ron's Rude Awakening". NBC. http://www.nbc.com/parks-and-recreation/video/clips/canvassing-rons-rude-awakening/1088063/. Retrieved 2009-04-22.
- ↑ Gonzalez, Sandra (January 15, 2010). ""Parks and Recreation" recap: Will Arnett can see your insides". Entertainment Weekly. http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/01/15/parks-and-recreation-recap-will-arnett-can-see-your-insides/. Retrieved January 15, 2010.